Quantum Leap in Business Agility, Data Center Efficiency, IT Value
With many data centers now stretched to capacity in terms of power, cooling, and floor space, IT infrastructure is actually limiting IT from investing in innovation. Operating in today’s challenging economic climate and in a competitive business environment, organizations need to reduce the cost of operations, increase productivity, and expand their capacity for innovation all at the same time. IDC estimates that for every dollar IT spends on hardware to support new users and applications, they spend another 50 cents on power and cooling for existing hardware. And as much as 70 percent of IT budget is being spent on maintenance of existing systems, leaving only 30 percent for innovation.
Microsoft Windows Server* 2008 R2, Windows Server* 2008 R2 Hyper-V, and SQL Server* 2008 R2, together with intelligent server platforms based on the latest Intel® Xeon® processors with next-generation Intel® microarchitecture (Nehalem) offer an antidote to these challenges – an unprecedented opportunity to refresh existing infrastructure and accelerate data center ROI, improve security, and save on power and cooling, space, and labor costs, while delivering more computing capacity in the same footprint. Compared to single-core servers, servers based on the Intel® Xeon® processor 5600 series deliver to 15x3 performance per server over 2-socket single-core servers, enabling up to 15:1 server consolidation ratios, up to 95 percent lower energy costs, and an estimated return on investment in as little as 5 months. For business-critical applications, the Intel® Xeon® processor 7500 series delivers up to 8x the memory bandwidth of previous-generation processors, and up to 20x8 the performance of 4-socket single-core servers, enabling up to 20:1 server consolidation, up to 90 percent lower operating costs, and an estimated return on investment in as little as 1 year.
Read the full Quantum Leap Solution Brief.